It might seem impossible when they appearing rapidly, but yes, you can prevent stretch marks during pregnancy!
With the fact that pregnancy is a “magical” time, it brings some unwanted changes in women’s lives. Without a doubt, one of the most upsetting “side effects” are pregnancy stretch marks.
I want to begin with the words that even if you have tried your best with preventing stretches on your skin, you should feel nothing bad about having them! Stretch marks are natural and they come into people’s lives because of different reasons, but none of them should make you feel less self-worthy or affect your self-confidence!
Fighting stretch marks should be considered as a prophylactic treatment for your skin health, and it helps you to avoid pain caused by rapidly stretching skin (deep stretch marks can hurt). However, the appearance of stretch marks should not make you feel less beautiful!
The Best Ways to Prevent Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
Although nothing can promise you a 100% stretch mark free pregnancy, you still can significantly decrease the chance of their appearance or help already formed stretch marks to fade a bit better and blend with your skin.
Keep reading below to see the best ways to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy:
1.) Hydration (Drinks)!
Staying hydrated is the best thing you can do to increase your skin quality. Hydration should come from both ways; internal and topical.
Drink at least two liters of pure water daily, and if you have the opportunity, drink natural electrolyte-containing rich drinks like watermelon, coconut, or maple water as well!
For watermelon water I love the product WTRMLN WTR.
This brand produces the finest quality watermelon water, which helps to save the most nutrients for you and your baby. They have pure watermelon water as well as flavors that include natural juices such as:
- Tart Cherry
- Blood Orange
In my opinion, I like the one which contains ginger, since ginger is helpful for pregnant women to control morning sickness.
For maple water, I prefer the brand Drink Maple.
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED & PURE: Our original maple water is pure maple sap tapped directly from organic...
- NATURAL HYDRATION: Perfect for athletes, gym rats, outdoor enthusiasts, travelers, and anyone...
- ONE INGREDIENT, 46 NUTRIENTS: With half the sugar of coconut water and a unique hint of maple...
- FEEL THE DIFFERENCE: High levels of manganese deliver an antioxidant punch to improve thyroid health...
- EVERYTHING-FREE: All of these amazing health benefits come with no strings attached. DRINKmaple is...
For coconut water, ZICO offers a good deal compared to its price and quality.
- Just 1 Natural Ingredient: ZICO is pure, natural coconut water made with just one ingredient –...
- Naturally Delicious Pure Hydration: Our Natural 100% Coconut Water has five naturally occurring...
- Make A Choice You Can Feel Good About: Zico Coconut water is naturally fat, gluten and cholesterol...
- ZICO Can Uplift Any Moment: From the benefits of drinking ZICO to its versatility as an ingredient,...
- Get To Know ZICO: The story of ZICO Coconut Water begins in Central America, where, while...
2.) Hydration (Topical)!
At some point, from the rapid stretching, your pregnancy skin will start to itch like crazy! Surprisingly, not all creams and oils relieve this problem, as well as not all of them are equally working well for preventing stretch marks.
My advice for you is to start rubbing the right creams into your skin as early as you can so this symptom passes you as much as possible.
I tried a large number of different creams and oils and I have two absolute favorites on this “battle front.”
Bio-Oil for Pregnancy Stretch Marks
My first suggestion is Bio-Oil. Honestly, I can’t describe how much I love Bio-Oil!
My first experience with Bio-Oil was about a year ago when I used it to soothe my post-acne and prevent scaring (which worked very well by the way). I personally use this oil during my pregnancy, and I am thrilled with my results!
After using Bio-Oil, my skin definitely became more toned, my old stretch-marks became more faded and blended into the skin, and my skin feels like buttery silk!
I do not promise that everybody will have the same result as me, but I am confident that Bio-Oil should bring a positive impact to your skin quality!
Here are a few specific reasons I suggest you use Bio-Oil to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy:
- The effect of Bio-Oil for scars and stretch marks is clinically proven and dermatologist recommended (GfK Recommendation Study 12-2014)
- Hypoallergenic and works for all skin types, even sensitive skin
- Helps to improve uneven skin tone, dry and aging skin
- Non-greasy and won’t clog pores
- Bio-Oil is safe to use on scars, once the surface is fully healed
- Number 1 scar and stretch mark product in 18 countries, and winner of 224 skincare awards
For the best results, use Bio-Oil twice a day, every day, for at least three months.
I suggest using topical creams throughout your pregnancy and during your postpartum time. You can stick to one brand or try different ones throughout your pregnancy but make sure to be consistent and finish each course before starting a new one!
- IMPROVES APPEARANCE OF ACNE SCARS AND STRETCH MARKS - Clinically proven to help repair skin damage...
- PACKED WITH POWERFUL, NATURAL OILS - Vitamin A Oil promotes the formation of new collagen and...
- LOCKS IN ESSENTIAL MOISTURE WITHOUT CLOGGING PORES - Uniquely formulated, non-greasy body oil that...
- HELPS SMOOTH UNEVEN SKIN TONES - Works naturally to improve the appearance of uneven skin tones, for...
- FORMULATED FOR ALL SKIN TYPES - Keep Bio-Oil Skincare Oil on-hand to ensure the whole household is...
Earth Mama Belly Butter for Stretch Marks from Pregnancy
My other favorite topical product for stretch marks during my pregnancy is Earth Mama Belly Butter.
I found out about this brand from my sister-in-law who worked for years in the maternity industry (although she isn’t a medical specialist), and she told me that a lot of women reported that this brand helped them the most with itchy skin and skin quality.
After giving Earth Mama Belly Butter a try, I wasn’t disappointed at all! So far for me, Earth Mama Belly Butter works the best for itchy skin relief.
This option contains only organic and natural herbal products, and has no:
- Mineral Oil
- Artificial Ingredients
Also, Earth Mama Belly Butter is certified to the NSF/ANSI 305 Standard for Personal Care Products Containing Organic Ingredients.
Overall, in my opinion, Bio-Oil works deeper for stretch marks, but for those who prefer a fully organic and mineral oil free (I personally use mineral oil) options, or need extra anti-itch effects, Earth Mama Belly Butter is the right option for you!
After using Earth Mama Belly Butter my skin quality increased and it feels more elastic. However, on old stretch marks, it had fewer results compared to Bio-Oil.
- Earth Mama Angel Baby’s Earth Mama Body Butter is now Earth Mama’s Belly Butter - same on the...
- Rich, luxurious, moisturizing pregnancy lotion with herbs and oils traditionally used to help ease...
- Dermatologist tested and clinically tested for irritation
- NO petroleum, mineral oil, parabens, or artificial fragrance
- Certified to the NSF/ANSI 305 Standard for Personal Care Products Containing Organic Ingredients by...
Earth Mama also has an oil option: Earth Mama Belly Oil.
For those who already have developed deep scars or are recovering from a C-Section, Earth Mama has an Organic Skin and Scar Balm for C-Section Scars and Stretch Marks.
- Earth Mama’s Organic Skin & Scar Balm is now 100% USDA Certified Organic, made with ethically...
- Organic herbal ingredients traditionally used to help reduce the appearance of scars and stretch...
- Dermatologist tested and clinically tested for irritation
- NO petroleum, parabens or artificial fragrance
- Made with organic herbs and oils, Certified by Oregon Tilth
I personally did not use this product, but I tried multiple products from Earth Mama and loved each of them. Also, each of their products is clinically and dermatologist tested, so I trust this one as well!
Affordable Topicals to Help Prevent Pregnancy Stretch Marks
A great budget-friendly option is Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Lotion for Stretch Marks.
- Cocoa butter stretch mark lotion helps visibly improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of...
- No.1 Stretch Marks, Brand in the US, over 98% of women saw improved skin elasticity, texture and...
- Made with Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter to soften, smooth, and plump skin, Vitamin E to support...
- Dermatologist approved, hypoallergenic, and free from mineral oil, parabens, and phthalates
- 48-hour moisturizing cream targets stretch mark-prone areas such as tummy, hips, thighs, and bust...
Alternatively, you could try the full Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Complete Stretch Mark & Pregnancy Skin Care Kit which includes a lotion, oil, cream, and tummy butter.
- Stretch Mark Care Set: Help improve the appearance of scars and stretch marks during and after your...
- Complete Care: Made with Cocoa Butter to soften and smooth skin, Vitamin E for even and toned...
- Finest Ingedients: We strive to use only the finest natural, raw ingredients to bring you soft,...
- Choose What's Real: Our beauty products and hair and skin treatments feature real high-quality,...
- Palmer's Skin Care: Our Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Olive Oil, and Vitamin E product...
They also have a good deal for an after pregnancy skincare set. For $15.89, you can get the Skin Recovery Kit for New Moms from Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula which includes:
- Tightening Body Lotion
- Nursing Butter
- Bust Cream
- Skin Therapy Oil
- New Mom Gift Set: Pamper the new mom in your life with this 4-piece gift set of after-pregnancy...
- Natural Factors: A luxurious combination of cocoa & shea butters, Vitamin E, coconut, argan & almond...
- Finest Ingedients: We strive to use only the finest natural, raw ingredients to bring you soft,...
- Choose What's Real: Our beauty products & hair & skin treatments feature real high-quality,...
- Palmer's: Our Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Olive Oil, & Vitamin E product lines include...
I had good results with the Palmer’s Stretch Mark Lotion for my pregnancy stretch marks. My skin felt softer and leatherier from the first application, and it worked well with relieving itchy skin, as well as helping my skin feel fresher. Since the lotion texture is pretty light and slightly watery, it absorbs well.
If you decided to go tight on your budget during your pregnancy, I totally support you!
Pregnancy and childcare are pricey and require a lot of spending and cutting off on certain things. However, you don’t have to cut off on your beauty, since Palmer’s stretch mark products are good quality and will help you to prevent stretch marks without saving on your baby!
Here are a few additional reasons to choose Palmer’s lotions to prevent stretch marks from pregnancy:
- Number one stretch mark brand in the United States. Over 98% of women saw improved elasticity, texture, and tone of the skin.
- Made with real Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Vitamin E, Lutein, Argan Oil, Almond Oil, and Coconut Oil.
- Dermatologist approved, hypoallergenic and free from mineral oil, parabens, and phthalates
- Provides 48-hour moisturizing
3.) Scrubbing Stretch Marks Away
Scrubbing stretch marks away works amazingly on already existing stretch marks, as well as it increases skin quality and prevents the appearance of new ones. For the best possible result, you want to use a combination of a dry brush and sugar or coffee body scrub for stretch marks.
The Dry Brush is my personal favorite choice since it’s an economic option, doesn’t leave any mess, and it’s easy to transport.
A dry brush gently exfoliates the skin and should be used before showering. Just gently rub your skin with your preferred brush in circular motions and enjoy your soft, nice looking skin!
My favorite dry brush is Ecotools Dry Body Brush:
I found it very soft and gentle, while other brushes often damaged and scratched my skin, so I couldn’t use them often. I have really sensitive skin and I have no problems with using this brush twice a day (just be gentle with your rubbing).
For a sugar scrub, I found the Brooklyn Botany Sugar Body Scrub and it seems like a great deal for me since you can use it for body, face, and feet!
The Brooklyn Botany Sugar Body Scrub contains only natural ingredients, including:
- Brown Sugar
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Apricot Kernel Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Evening Primrose Flower Extract
- Lemon Oil
- Calendula Flower Extract
- Ginseng Extract
- Lis Extract
- Arnica Extract
- Peppermint Extract
- Grapefruit Oil
- Litsea Cubeba Oil
- Orange Oil
- Bergamot Oil
- Lemongrass Oil
- Citron Oil
- EXFOLIATING & MOISTURIZING FACIAL & BODY SCRUB: Our Brown Sugar Body Scrub and Face Scrub is a...
- GREAT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: While salt scrubs may be too harsh for sensitive skin, this Brown Sugar...
- A VERSATILE SKIN CARE MUST HAVE! Our Brown Sugar Body Scrub and Facial Scrub is perfect for all your...
- NOURISHING MOISTURIZER: While certain exfoliating scrubs or dry brushes can leave your skin dry and...
- PROUDLY MADE IN USA: Our Brown Sugar Facial Scrub, Body Scrub, and Foot Scrub is made in NY, USA...
I rarely see such a great selection of oils in body scrubs since most brands add cheap, low-quality ingredients in their scrubs, but this brand seems transparent with high standards. I like that all of the ingredients are only expensive, high-quality oils, as well as the seller promises that their scrub works for sensitive skin and it is made in the U.S.A!
The same brand (Brooklyn Botany) also has an Arabica Coffee Scrub for stretch marks
I love the ingredients as well! Ingredients include Dead Sea Salt Granules, Dead Sea Salt, Organic Kona Coffee, Organic Olive Oil, Organic Sweet Almond Oil, Organic Grapeseed Oil, Coffee Arabica Seed Oil, Organic Shea Butter, Cacao Extract, and Organic Coconut Extract.
- COMBAT CELLULITE NATURALLY: Our Coffee Body Scrub, Facial Scrub, Hand Scrub, and Foot Scrub is great...
- SPA QUALITY BODY SCRUB, FACIAL SCRUB, FOOT SCRUB, & SKINCARE TREATMENT: Exfoliating your skin to...
- REDUCES SIGNS OF AGING SKIN: This Body Scrub & Face Scrub Exfoliator and Moisturizer can help with...
- VERSATILE SKIN CARE FULL BODY SCRUB: This extremely versatile exfoliating and moisturizing scrub can...
- 100% NATURAL ARABICA COFFEE BODY SCRUB, FACIAL SCRUB, HAND SCRUB, & FOOT SCRUB: Our Arabica Coffee...
If you are curious about what the difference between the sugar and coffee scrub for stretch marks is, I will explain it for you in a couple of sentences.
The main benefit of the sugar scrub over the coffee scrub is that the sugar one doesn’t leave much of a mess compare to the coffee scrub, as well as the sugar scrub is gentler compared to the coffee.
The coffee scrub works more intensively and will produce a bigger result compared to the sugar one. So, if your skin is easily damaging or you are searching for lighter exfoliation – the sugar scrub is your bro! If you need an intense exfoliating – the coffee scrub will be your best friend!
4.) Collagen Supplements
If you want an even better result, you need to consider taking collagen supplements.
I personally love Vital Protein Bone Broth Collagen Peptides.
I personally use this brand and am in love with the results. Collagen in peptide form is easy to digest (especially if you are like me and have a sensitive stomach) and they will help you not only with increasing your skin quality, but will work great for your nails, hair, and muscles as well!
After the first days of using this product, I already saw a result on my skin. It became more elastic and “alive.”
Remember that the best help for your body always comes from the inside! So, don’t underestimate the power of collagen, and consider taking it with your breakfast smoothie!
- Bioavailable Collagen Peptides Powder ---- Sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine to ensure a...
- Health Benefits ---- Original Collagen Peptides with Hyaluronic Acid + Vitamin C is Vital Proteins...
- Easy to Use ---- Soluble in hot or cold liquids, including coffee, smoothies, and tea. 1-2 scoops a...
- Certifications ---- Paleo Friendly & Whole30 Approved. No added sugars or sweeteners. Gluten /...
- 20g Collagen Powder per Serving ---- We provide a scoop to measure it, which two scoops of powder =...
Concluding Thoughts – Preventing Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
As you can see, fighting stretch marks is not a “one-step program,” but it is possible! After doing all the steps I described above, my skin became unrecognizably better, as well as the appearance of old stretch marks sufficiently faded away!
I hope you found my article helpful and will consider at least some of my advice for increasing your skin quality!
Read Next: The Best Pregnancy Pillow